“We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We’ve decided to do something about it,” said Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. “We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours.”
Revealed in the lawsuit are the patents in question:
- “Time-Based, Non-Constant Translation Of User Interface Objects Between States”
- “Touch Screen Device, Method, And Graphical User Interface For Determining Commands By Applying Heuristics”
- “Unlocking A Device By Performing Gestures On An Unlock Image”
- “List Scrolling And Document Translation, Scaling, And Rotation On A Touch-Screen Display”
- “System And Method For Managing Power Conditions Within A Digital Camera Device”
- “Automated Response To And Sensing Of User Activity In Portable Devices”
- “GMSK Signal Processors For Improved Communications Capacity And Quality”
- “Conserving Power By Reducing Voltage Supplied To An Instruction-Processing Portion Of A Processor”
- “Object-Oriented Graphic System”
- “Object-Oriented Event Notification System With Listener Registration Of Both Interests And Methods”
While HTC primarily makes handsets running Windows Mobile, the company has also made a number of high-profile phones based on the Google Android mobile operating system. In addition to the first Android phone, the G1, HTC was also behind the recently released Nexus One, which features multi-touch technology.
The lawsuit is yet another filed with the ITC with Apple’s name featured prominently on it. In recent months the iPhone maker has sued Nokia, and is also being sued by the Finnish handset maker. The ITC has agreed to look into both companies’ complaints of patent infringement.
The ITC has also begun investigating claims made by Kodak against Apple. The camera company has alleged that Apple is in violation of patents that relate to the previewing of images, and processing them at different resolutions.
Related Posts: On this day...
- Fraunhofer cracks iPhone password in 6 minutes, exposes stored passwords - 2011
- Ron Paul questions Hillary Clinton on supporting and propping up dictators - 2011
- OK Go - This Too Shall Pass v2 - 2010
- The story behind Tux - 2009
- Mexico Drug Cartel Map - 2009
- How Viagra spam works - 2009
- Russian Man Dies After 12 Hour Viagra Fueled Orgy - 2009
- UK amusement park offers surveillance footage of you as a souvenier - 2009
- Why forced change password policies are ridiculous - 2009
- Maximum meme density - 2009