The old 701-900 EeePC used the Atheros WiFi driver, and now the newrest EeePC 901/1000 uses the RaLink WiFi. Took me a minute to figure out they changed it. Here is the output from my lspci:
01:00.0 Network controller: RaLink Unknown device 0781 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Unknown device 1026 (rev b0)
First, to install the the Asus Eee PC’s LAN driver for the 901 and 1000 you need build dependencies. This means installing the kernel headers and development packages. As well as gcc so that you can compile on your fresh OS install. A couple examples…
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) unrar
su -c 'yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers gcc
If you have no access to the internet, these can usually be installed during OS install or after by browsing your Linux OS DVD and searching for them and manually installing the kernel source:
rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.25-14.fc9.src.rpm
Lots of files require configuration prior to installation of subsequent files. This took some time, but most of the time was because the packages were bad downloads and I had to keep downloading them form different sources till they all worked. The folder contains the default kernel headers requires, and basically its an all in 1 package with everything youâ€™ll need.
Now download the driver source direct from ASUS.
Extract, and cd to the directory. Then cd to the src directory. Compile:
sudo KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make
sudo KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make install
After compilation and installation:
sudo insmod /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/atl1e.ko
so modprobe knows the driver exists. If for some reason the driver doesn’t load automatically you can manually add it to /etc/modules.
[phpbay]asus eee, 10, “”, “”[/phpbay]
Related Posts: On this day...
- How Freedom Dies: Internet Poker - 2011
- PS3 Jailbreak Released - 2010
- Why PulseAudio? - 2010
- Breast implant serial numbers used to identify murder victim, Playboy model, Jasmine Fiore - 2009
- Placebos Are Getting More Effective... and Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why. - 2009
- Why Craigslist Is Such a Mess - 2009
- Are IT Security Professionals Less Happy? - 2008
- Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams - 2008
- Joe Biden's pro-RIAA, pro-FBI voting record: Biden's legislation is the reason PGP was invented. He wanted to make it a federal felony to have your computer run "unauthorized programs." - 2008
- vi Survival Guide - 2008