At O’Reilly Media’s FOO Camp this weekend, BB pal Dale Dougherty, founder of MAKE:, interviewed Steven Levy about his seminal 1984 book Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution. The book was just republished by O’Reilly in a 25th Anniversary Edition. If you haven’t read it yet, Hackers is a terrific telling of how the DIY mindset (and of course some shrewd business dealings) gave birth to the personal computer industry. The new edition includes recent interviews with Bill Gates, Mark Zukerberg, Richard Stallman, and Steven Wozniak. Hindsight is 20/20 but damn, those were different times.
Related Posts: On this day...
- Hackers are being radicalised by government policy - 2011
- Researchers have found that the act of detoxification from alcohol results in damage to the areas of the brain that veto spontaneous desire - 2011
- Tom Woods's Nullification: How To Resist Federal Tyranny in the 21st Century - 2010
- Google mocks Bing and the stuff behind it - 2009
- Mystery on Fifth Avenue - 2008