All of the pious souls have ascended, and the earth is in turmoil. The left-behinds fall into two camps: those who slaughter and enforce martial law for the angels, and those who join the resistance and fight against God’s tyranny.
Ella was abandoned in Detroit by her husband, who went to fight angels in Chicago. She is raising their son alone, and like many, he has been mutated by the wild magic of the rapture, making her the target of derision and fear by her neighbors. Driven from her home by a fire, she takes up refuge with urban farmers who are contending with a plot by Famine, the Horseman, to destroy humanity’s food supply and make them more dependent on the angels.
Munroe is a fantastic writer in many media (novels, games, films and comics), and his talents are ably matched by Gerard’s stellar illustrations, jagged line drawings that play with time-series and an expressivity of posture to convey emotion with unexpected punch.
Profane and wonderful, Sword of My Mouth and Therefore, Repent! are subversive, smart, and gripping.
Related Posts: On this day...
- Swearing child's toy: VTECH phone - 2011
- MacroWikinomics: Nonthreatening web theory primer for business - 2011
- Transformers: The Complete Series on DVD preorders for $60 shipped - 2011
- Life with Ubuntu and a ThinkPad - 2011
- How do emulators work and how are they written? - 2010
- Exclusive BlackBerry tablet information - 2010
- BlackBerry Bold 9650 to hit Verizon "soon" - 2010
- Phishing as a day-job - 2010
- A botnet with 6 to 12 million computers, employing the world's most sophisticated encryption and peer-to-peer communication lies waiting, but for what? - 2010
- HOWTO: Receive an email when someone logs in as root - 2009