The Anarchist Cookbook was written during 1968 and part of 1969 soon after I graduated from high school. At the time, I was 19 years old and the Vietnam War and the so-called “counter culture movement” were at their height. I was involved in the anti-war movement and attended numerous peace rallies and demonstrations. The book, in many respects, was a misguided product of my adolescent anger at the prospect of being drafted and sent to Vietnam to fight in a war that I did not believe in….
The central idea to the book was that violence is an acceptable means to bring about political change. I no longer agree with this.
During the years that followed its publication, I went to university, married, became a father and a teacher of adolescents. These developments had a profound moral and spiritual effect on me. I found that I no longer agreed with what I had written earlier and I was becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the ideas that I had put my name to. In 1976 I became a confirmed Anglican Christian and shortly thereafter I wrote to Lyle Stuart Inc. explaining that I no longer held the views that were expressed in the book and requested that The Anarchist Cookbook be taken out of print. The response from the publisher was that the copyright was in his name and therefore such a decision was his to make – not the author’s. In the early 1980′s, the rights for the book were sold to another publisher. I have had no contact with that publisher (other than to request that the book be taken out of print) and I receive no royalties.
Unfortunately, the book continues to be in print and with the advent of the Internet several websites dealing with it have emerged. I want to state categorically that I am not in agreement with the contents of The Anarchist Cookbook and I would be very pleased (and relieved) to see its publication discontinued. I consider it to be a misguided and potentially dangerous publication which should be taken out of print.
Related Posts: On this day...
- The Mystery of Wrinkly-When-Wet Fingers, Solved - 2011
- Adobe issues security advisory for Flash Player, plans fix "during the week of September 27" - 2010
- Big Corn wants to change "High Fructose Corn Syrup" to "Corn Sugar" - 2010
- HOWTO: Avoid cognitive blind-spots, save money, and be happy - 2009
- Google's Data Liberation Front commits to making it easy to get your data off of Google's servers - 2009
- New book on conspiracies and Shermer's skeptical take on the topic - 2009
- iPhone and iTouch paper stand/dock - 2009
- Canonical CEO Mark Shuttleworth responds to 208 comments about the Firefox 3 EULA - 2008
- Google planning "data barges" at sea... away from national laws and taxes - 2008
- Study: Hotel Networks Put Corporate Users at Risk - 2008