Inspired by Dan Ariely’s book Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Lives, Jeff Atwood used its list of cognitive blind-spots endemic to our species and produced a list of nine ways to avoid making decisions that will make you unhappy later.
5. Design for Procrastination. Ariely conducted an experiment on his class. Students were required to write three papers. Ariely asked the first group to commit to dates by which they would turn in each paper. Late papers would be penalized 1% per day. There was no penalty for turning papers in early. The logical response is to commit to turning all three papers in on the last day of class. The second group was given no deadlines; all three papers were due in the last day of class. The third group was directed to turn their papers in on the 4th, 8th, and 12th weeks.
The results? Group 3 (imposed deadlines) got the best grades. Group 2 (no deadlines) got the worst grades, and Group 1 (self-selected deadlines) finished in the middle. Allowing students to pre-commit to deadlines improved performance. Students who spaced out their commitments did well; students who did the logical thing and gave no commitments did badly.
* Steer clear of offers of low-rate trial periods which auto-convert into automatic recurring monthly billing. They know that most people will procrastinate and forget to cancel before the recurring billing kicks in.
* Either favor fixed-rate, fixed-term plans — or become meticulous about cancelling recurring services when you’re not using them.
Related Posts: On this day...
- The Mystery of Wrinkly-When-Wet Fingers, Solved - 2011
- Adobe issues security advisory for Flash Player, plans fix "during the week of September 27" - 2010
- Big Corn wants to change "High Fructose Corn Syrup" to "Corn Sugar" - 2010
- 10 Years Ago: The Anarchist Cookbook - 2010
- Google's Data Liberation Front commits to making it easy to get your data off of Google's servers - 2009
- New book on conspiracies and Shermer's skeptical take on the topic - 2009
- iPhone and iTouch paper stand/dock - 2009
- Canonical CEO Mark Shuttleworth responds to 208 comments about the Firefox 3 EULA - 2008
- Google planning "data barges" at sea... away from national laws and taxes - 2008
- Study: Hotel Networks Put Corporate Users at Risk - 2008