Yet another newbie question that suggests people love to kill and show their power to rest of the world…
There is a package called procps. It includes various useful (READ: nifty) utilities. One of such utility is skill which is responsible to send a signal to users and process such as:
- Halt user terminal
- Kill user and logout
Also note that these are utilities to browse the /proc filesystem, which is not a real file system but a way for the kernel to provide information about the status of entries in its process table.
Task: How to halt/stop user called didi
Type the skill command as follows:
# skill -STOP -u didi
You muse be root to stop other users.
Task: How to resume already halted user called didi
Send CONT single to user didi, type the following command:
# skill -CONT -u didi
Task: How to kill and logout user called didi
You can send KILL single, type the following command:
# skill -KILL -u didi
Task: Kill and logout all users
The ultimate command to kill and logout all users, type the following command:
# skill -KILL -v /dev/pts/*
Please note that send users warning message or logout notice using wall command to avoid data loss.
Related Posts: On this day...
- HOWTO: Cheat Against Your Friends On Draw Something - 2012
- Live stream from Ultra Music Festival 2012 - 2012
- Michigan Supreme Court rules police have no right to privacy while on duty - 2011
- bubbles - 2010
- Priceless: How our unknowing irrationality confounds the price of everything - 2010
- For sale in Utah: "die-hard survivalist bunker" - 2010
- The TSA will be tracking you via your phone in the airport (for your own good) - 2010
- This health care bill defines a new America - 2010
- Ron Paul: We Need Free-Market Healthcare, NOT ObamaCare - 2010
- Twenty Ways ObamaCare Will Take Away Our Freedoms - 2010