OpenMoko has announced an upgrade to its Linux-powered mobile phone and plans to present the device at CES. Thatâ€™s a slap in the face for open source competitor Google Android, which is still in development.In its announcement, OpenMoko writes â€œ. . . at CES we will formally preview GTA02 to the public. We are doing this at an invitation-only media event, and not the general show floor.â€The GTA02 model was renamed FreeRunner and according to OpenMoko will be â€œpreviewed at CES and ship later this springâ€“ first to developers and then to end users as software for the new hardware features becomes available.â€
OpenMoko may be looking to build a larger community of Linux software developers as it begins to to make its phone consumer-friendly.
Though Google recently announced the launch of its Android Developer Challenge, the company has not given any indication of when any Android-powered hardware may appear.
That gives OpenMoko a head start in developing additional Linux software for its phone and claiming marketshare.
According to CNET, upgrades to the phone include â€œa faster processor, Wi-Fi networking, and better graphics abilities. Itâ€™s also got built-in hardware for 2D and 3D graphics along with new motion sensors that can trigger automated behavior. The wireless networking supports the 802.11b/g standards.â€
With much of the mobile market restrained by phones locked into single networks, OpenMoko is on the leading edge of a revolution in mobile computing.
On its site, the company writes, â€œmobile phones, currently closed and self limited, will rival broadband computers. When based on Open standards, they will deliver ubiquitous computing and vanish.â€
Related Posts: On this day...
- D.Veloped - Work:Party mashup - 2012
- Asus loads shotgun with tablets large and small - 2011
- Brilliant scheme by Delta... I think students of economics will appreciate this - 2011
- Windows 7 "GodMode" - 2010
- New airport scanners break kiddie-porn laws - 2010
- Celebrity Twitter Accounts Hacked - 2009
- Ron Paul Supporters Stage Internet Coup - 2009
- JournalSpace Wiped Out - 2009
- Legally download every single Beatles song ever released for free - 2009
- The Most Hated Company In the PC Industry - 2008