At the Eiffel Tower’s official web site, you can check out scans of the original blueprints created by Gustave Eiffel in preparation for the 1889 World’s Fair. The famous tower in Paris was the source of much controversy (many thought its skeletal design ruined the classical cityscape) and remained the tallest structure in the world until the Chrysler Building in 1930.
Also worth noting is the influence of the Eiffel tower in terms of sheer awesomeness.
In 1893, the worlds fair was held in Chicago; they wanted to do something to “out-Eiffel” Eiffel. Eiffel himself offered to design something for the fair, but organizers wanted an American designer. They ended up building something almost as big, but which also moved.
The 1893 fair was truly amazing. I highly recommend the book “Devil in the White City” if you’re interested in learning more.
Related Posts: On this day...
- GoDaddy not only helped write #SOPA they are also exempt from it. Scumbags. - 2011
- Is reading your wife's e-mail a crime? - 2010
- Euler's Identity is said to be the most beautiful theorem in mathematics - 2008
- Time to Reboot America - 2008
- Before you put any money in those little red kettles, make sure you aren't opposed to the positions of The Salvation Army - 2008
- WARNING: Do NOT calculate Pi in binary - 2007