LONDON — Prince William has a confession to make.
The prince, second in line to the British throne, jokingly told art lovers Monday he was the mysterious graffiti artist Banksy. The reclusive artist, who has covered London buildings with his artwork, avoids being photographed and has not confirmed his real name.
Prince William got laughs for the line Monday during an appearance at London’s century-old Whitechapel Gallery, which recently completed a 13.5 million pound ($20.5 million) expansion.
Banksy’s identity has been the subject of much speculation. The BBC has reported his real name is Robert Banks, 35, and he started spraying graffiti at 14.
And he is reported to have grown up in Bristol — 120 miles west of the prince’s childhood haunts in London.
Related Posts: On this day...
- Minnesota "ball slasher" busted again - 2011
- Ron Paul: "Outraged" over Fed audit vote - 2010
- Man doesn't know what happened at the Hustler Club, but it wasn't worth $21K - 2010
- Meganet's Dominator I snoops on four GSM convos at once... and fits in your overnight bag - 2010
- Snarlin' Arlen: The Switch - 2010
- Lamborghini Reventon #01 of 20 arrives at Las Vegas dealership - 2008
- Hackers Attack Epilepsy Site - 2008