The movie ties “Avatar’s” early-morning showings.
Disney’s Tron: Legacy grossed roughly $3.5 million in midnight runs, with Imax theaters providing a record percentage of the gross, according to early estimates.
Imax locations grossed roughly $1 million. That number could shift upwards once final figures are tallied.
Tron debuted in 228 Imax theaters across the country. Several theaters in South Atlantic states that had planned to run the fanboy tentpole were shut because of snow.
The movie outpaces Inception, which earned $3 million at late night showings earlier this year, but ties Avatar at $3.5 million.
Related Posts: On this day...
- Raspberry Pi purchase and setup guide for developers - 2012
- HOWTO: Keep your data safe at the US border - 2011
- Richard Stallman: The actions against MasterCard and Amazon are not "hacking." People are just finding a way to protest in a digital space, the internet equivalent of a mass demonstration - 2010
- CMU professor: New privacy issues are emerging - 2009
- Bed gun rack - 2009
- Who feels bad for being a pirate now? - 2008
- HOWTO: Read flowcharts - 2008