While Bennett said all the right things about keeping the Sonics in Seattle, a team executive dinner on September 9, 2006, tells you all you need to know about the man and his motives. On that fine evening, the Sonics management, all held over from the previous ownership regime, all Pacific Northwesters, gathered in Oklahoma to meet the new boss. Bennett made sure they were sent to a top restaurant, and picked up the bill. As the Seattle execs sat down, four plates of a deep fried appetizer were put on the table. After filling their mouths with the crispy goodness, one asked the waitress what this curious dish with a nutty flavor actually was. It was lamb testicles. Bennett laughed at their discomfort and the message was clear: the Sonics could eat his balls. (See Sonicsgate.com for a full accounting of this theft.)
Putting all the politics behind the Seattle/OKC move aside, OKC has great fans and a team that has worked hard to get to this level. I can’t root against them.
Related Posts: On this day...
- WiFi-sniffing picture frame - 2011
- BP Blocking Media Access? - 2010
- Facebook wants access to sex offender registers - 2010
- Conservatives are largest porn consumers - 2010
- Hope and Change! - 2010
- Ron Paul on Government Regulation Of Tobacco - 2009
- False cocaine scares - 2009
- Marian Hossa fail - 2009
- British hacker faces extradition hearing - 2008
- RIAA wants the Internet shut down - 2008