China has confirmed itself as the “king of counterfeiters” with the building of a new shopping center dedicated to fake brands.
Some of the brand impostors at the mall in Nanjing, east of Shanghai, include a McDonalds look-a-like burger bar called McDnoald’s, a Starbucks-style coffee shop called Bucksstar Coffee, and a wannabe Pizza Hut called Pizza Huh.
City bosses are under pressure to ban the soon-to-be opened mall after pictures of the fake stores were leaked, causing uproar amongst angry consumers who feared they’d be ripped off.
“Not every shopper is brand conscious so a lot of people will walk into these stores thinking they are getting the real thing,” said an angry shopper in a local newspaper. “Some fakes are done light-heartedly to be funny, but these stores look so much like the real thing people are going to feel cheated,” the shopper added.
This may be the first “fakes only” mall but copycat brands are rife around the world. More pics after the jump…
Related Posts: On this day...
- Microsoft Patents "Avoid Ghetto" Feature For GPS Devices - 2012
- The Price of Everything - 2011
- 4Chan delivers "Youtube Porn Day," and its still early in the day - 2010
- Tsutomu Yamaguchi: Luckiest guy ever - 2010
- HOWTO: Get a free medium pizza at Papa Johns - 2009
- Defendants in Music-Industry Lawsuit Ask for Trial to Be Broadcast Online - 2009
- Why are gun sales soaring? - 2009
- NRK pulls the Our Daily Beatles podcast because of "rights" - 2009
- Please Do Not Do This - 2008
- Attack of the Clones - 2008