While you were all talking about Obama’s calling Kanye West a “jackass,” he was talking about extending The Patriot Act….
The Obama administration supports extending three key provisions of the Patriot Act that are due to expire at the end of the year, the Justice Department told Congress in a letter made public Tuesday.
Lawmakers and civil rights groups had been pressing the Democratic administration to say whether it wants to preserve the post-Sept. 11 law’s authority to access business records, as well as monitor so-called “lone wolf” terrorists and conduct roving wiretaps.
The provision on business records was long criticized by rights groups as giving the government access to citizens’ library records, and a coalition of liberal and conservative groups complained that the Patriot Act gives the government too much authority to snoop into Americans’ private lives.
As a presidential candidate, Barack Obama said he would take a close look at the law, based on his past expertise in constitutional law. Back in May, President Obama said legal institutions must be updated to deal with the threat of terrorism, but in a way that preserves the rule of law and accountability.
Related Posts: On this day...
- As if solving a Rubik's cube wasn't enough... - 2011
- Can Diaspora win anything but publicity? - 2010
- Free climbing a tower higher than the Empire State Building - 2010
- Typographic zombie poster - 2010
- Microsoft Xbox 360 Modern Warfare 2 Limited Edition Game Console for $400 shipped - 2009
- HOWTO: Move or migrate user accounts from old Linux server to a new Linux server - 2009
- Rapper 50 Cent: Piracy is a part of the marketing - 2009
- Masons and the Making of America - 2009
- Yet another creepy research paper proving you have no privacy online - 2009
- Rumor: Rare Bringing Goldeneye to Xbox Arcade - 2008