Brian Krebs continues his excellent series of posts on ATM skimmers, this time with a report on the state of the art in commercially available artisan-crafted skimmers that can be bought through the criminal underground…
Generally, these custom-made devices are not cheap, and you won’t find images of them plastered all over the Web. Take these pictures, for instance, which were obtained directly from an ATM skimmer maker in Russia. This custom-made skimmer kit is designed to fit on an NCR ATM model 5886, and it is sold on a few criminal forums for about 8,000 Euro — shipping included. It consists of two main parts: The upper portion is a carefully molded device that fits over the card entry slot and is able to read and record the information stored on the card’s magnetic stripe (I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures: According to the Exif data included in these images, they were taken earlier this year with a Nokia 3250 phone).The second component is a PIN capture device that is essentially a dummy metal plate with a look-alike PIN entry pad designed to rest direct on top of the actual PIN pad, so that any keypresses will be both sent to the real ATM PIN pad and recorded by the fraudulent PIN pad overlay.
Related Posts: On this day...
- Flip-flops with a secret compartment - 2011
- HOWTO: Play Pandora streaming radio in Linux - UPDATE - 2010
- Barack Obama Gets An Unlikely Defender: Ron Paul - 2010
- Mad 3D maze-city of Kowloon - 2010
- Detroit and Pittsburgh both attempting to lose Stanley Cup - 2009
- Inflatable portable "clean room" - 2009
- Prevent XSS and SQL Injection - 2008
- Excellent Fedora 9 Installation Guide - 2008
- 3G iPhone to have GPS and Pics with geo-tagging - 2008