Sometimes linux hosting users need to change the permissions on a folder to use upload scripts or other applications that need this permissions.
With chmod 777 their folder gain the rights: writing / reading and execute for everyone. Malicious hackers like these kind of folders.
How can you protect that folders?
You can turn PHP off on that folder and disable php / html / perl files.
How can it be done?
Create this .htaccess in the folder:
php_flag engine off
<Files ~ “\.(php*|s?p?html|cgi|pl)$”>
deny from all
Thats it, you just increased the security level on this folders.
Related Posts: On this day...
- Teens React to Rick Perry's anti-gay commercial - 2011
- What I was thinking during TRON: Legacy - 2010
- Chart compares price of inkjet ink to other liquids - 2009
- Odds of being a terrorism victim on a flight - 2009
- Why Am I Not Surprised That This is a Government Website? - 2008
- Long waits for some Netflix Blu-ray customers - 2008
- 25C3: Hackers completely break SSL using 200 PS3s - 2008
- Windows Vista screwed RAM manufacturers... but you can profit - 2008