Presidential candidates will do almost anything for publicity. But Ron Paul’s appearance in Sacha Baron Cohen’s upcoming Bruno movie suggests he draws the line at making sex tapes with gay Austrian TV hosts.
In a five-minute scene, comedian Cohen tries—and fails—to seduce the Texas congressman and former Republican presidential candidate in a Washington hotel room. A spokeswoman for Paul confirmed the appearance but declined to discuss details, which were provided by two people who attended a test screening last week.
The scene with Paul, filmed in early 2008, occurs about halfway through the movie, after Bruno gets the idea that you have to make a sex tape to become famous.
Stop reading here if you want to see the movie unspoiled.
Cut to a nondescript hotel suite where Bruno sits across from Ron Paul. After a brief exchange of pleasantries, a light blows out on the set. Bruno apologizes for the technical difficulties and suggests that he and Paul wait in the other room while the crew fixes the light.
The other room, it turns out, is a bedroom. The lighting is low, and the film is now grainy—not unlike a sex tape—as it cuts to a hidden spy camera. There’s a spread of Champagne and strawberries and caviar on a table.
Bruno tells Paul to make himself comfortable. Paul sits down on the bed. Bruno turns on some music and starts dancing. Paul is visibly uneasy but doesn’t say anything at first. He picks up a newspaper and pretends to read it. “You can tell at each weird gay detail, he [chalks] it up to, This guy is European,” says one of the attendees.
Finally, Paul asks what’s going on. “Don’t worry about it, Dr. Paul,” says Bruno, who then unbuckles his belt and drops his pants. At that point, Paul snaps up and storms out of the room.
Apparently, this is what passes for comedy in America these days.
Related Posts: On this day...
- A new Super Mario Bros film at SXSW - 2011
- Property Outlaws: important scholarly book on how breaking property law improves it - 2010
- 2010 Census more expensive than all others combined - 2010
- Why mercury is forbidden aboard airplanes - 2009
- 5 lbs of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein for $34 shipped - 2009
- Putin Pretending To Be Tourist During Reagan's 1988 Visit To Moscow - 2009
- Google Begins Behavioral Targeting Ad Program - 2009
- Police Chief: "I want them to be afraid every time they see the police that they might get arrested" - 2009
- Family Guy Wins Court Battle Citing Fair Use of Disney's "Wish Upon a Star" - 2009
- Vector Magic No Longer Free - 2008