The BBC reports on the phenomenon of people who claim to have been made sick by wi-fi and mobile phones, and now seek refuge in Green Bank, West Virginia. This town is situated in the US Radio Quiet Zone, where there is no wireless allowed within a 13,000 square mile range to prevent interference with a number of major radio telescopes. Some of those “listening points” are part of the US government’s spy network.
Diane Schou is unable to hold back the tears as she describes how she once lived in a shielded cage to protect her from the electromagnetic radiation caused by waves from wireless communication.
“It’s a horrible thing to have to be a prisoner,” she says. “You become a technological leper because you can’t be around people.
“It’s not that you would be contagious to them – it’s what they’re carrying that is harmful to you.”
Ms Schou is one of an estimated 5% of Americans who believe they suffer from Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity (EHS), which they say is caused by exposure to electromagnetic fields typically created by mobile phones, wi-fi and other electronic equipment.
Related Posts: On this day...
- Microsoft celebrates Windows Phone 7 RTM with funeral parade for BlackBerry and iPhone - 2010
- Scary speech by gentleman with a "masters degree in communication" - 2010
- Kodak Theatre HD Player for $137 shipped - 2009
- Daredevil LA tagger "Buket" of YouTube fame gets nearly 4 years in jail - 2009
- Randall Munroe reading to benefit EFF, San Francisco, Sept 21 - 2009
- Girlfriend Takes Nude Pics on Boyfriend's Bed and Then Kills Him - 2008
- Nine Inch Fail! - 2008